The CGI Series refers to the Television Series as it was produced from 2009 to 2020. In 2008 HiT Entertainment announced that Thomas & Friends would be undergoing a Radical Change in production. The Company announced its Intent to Relocate Production of the Series from the United Kingdom to Canada. With this change, HIT announced that future Thomas productions would be animated with Computer-Generated Imagery.
HiT Entertainment's Senior Vice President of Production and Programming, Christopher Skala, stated that the Change, aside from budgetary reasons, was intended to convey more emotion and flexibility through the Stories. Skala claimed that, of his Focus Group, even those who felt that Thomas, as an institution, wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't be changed in this Way ultimately responded positively to the Demonstration of the New Animation techniques.
The First Feature of the Overhauled Series was Hero of the Rails, released in autumn 2009. Trailers, DVD Covers and a Music Video called Go, Go Thomas all from this Feature-Length Special were shown on YouTube prior to its Official Release. Book Merchandise tying into the Special have also appeared on Online Retailers. It introduced 3 New Characters and a New Location - the Sodor Steamworks.
- Hiro, an old and wise Japanese tender engine who is famously known as the "Master of the Railway".
- Victor, a dark red Cuban tank engine who works at the Sodor Steamworks.
- Kevin, a yellow mobile crane who is Victor's assistant at the Sodor Steamworks.
- The first production using entirely CGI Animation.
- Spencer and the Duke and Duchess of Boxford's first appearances in a special as well as Spencer's first appearance since the eleventh series episode, Dream On.
The thirteenth series was the first series to feature Computer-Animation exclusively. 2 Images were originally found - 2 Recreations of Scenes from the Eleventh Series Episode Thomas and the Stinky Cheese.
- Charlie, a playful purple tank engine.
- Sir Lowham Hatt, the jolly twin brother of the Fat Controller.
- Mr. Bubbles, a clown.
- The first series animated exclusively in CGI by Nitrogen Studios.
- The first appearances of Troublesome Trucks and Bertie in a Full CGI Series.
- The first series directed by Greg Tiernan.
- The first series produced by Nicole Stinn.
- The first series released in the 2010s.
- The first series to use the newly updated Engine Roll Call as the title music in the intro.
- The only series with Dave Peacock as voice director.
- The only series with Jo Jordan as a creative executive.
- The only series where Mr. Percival was mentioned as the Thin Controller in the US dub.
- The only series to have episodes written by Allen Plenderleith, David Richard Fox and Alan Hescott.
Misty Island Rescue is a Special that was released on September 7th, 2010 in the US and October 11th in the UK.
- Bash and Dash, two fun-loving tank engine twins that were sent to Misty Island as punishment for causing chaos on the Mainland.
- Ferdinand, a fun-loving tender engine that was sent to Misty Island with Bash and Dash as punishment for causing chaos on the Mainland.
- Captain, a blue, red, and yellow coast guard lifeboat who is part of the Sodor Search and Rescue Team.
- The first apperances of Diesel 10, Harold, Salty, Whiff, Stanley, and Butch in a Fully CGI Environment.
- Matt Wilkinson joins the US voice cast.
The fourteenth series is the 2nd to use CGI exclusively. It began airing on October 11th, 2010 in the UK and in November in the US.
- Scruff, a lime green Sentinel 9369 0-4-0 Industrial Locomotive who works at the Waste Dump with Whiff.
- Headkeeper Jack (does not speak)
Day of the Diesels is a special that was released in September 2011 and officially introduced New Engines and a New Location - the Sodor Dieselworks.
- Belle, a blue tank engine who is part of the Sodor Search and Rescue Team.
- Den, a big hydraulic diesel engine who runs the Vicarstown Dieselworks.
- Dart, a small diesel shunter who is Den's best friend and assistant at the Vicarstown Dieselworks.
- Flynn, a fire engine who is part of the Sodor Search and Rescue Team.
- Sidney, a forgetful blue diesel engine who often takes goods trains. (not named)
- Norman, an orange diesel engine with a unibrow and is Dennis' twin. (not named outside of music video)
- Paxton, a kind and friendly green diesel engine. (not named outside of music video)
- The special marks the second time Thomas and Percy fight a fire, the first time being in the fifth series episode, Thomas, Percy and Old Slow Coach.
- The first special where Spencer does not appear, although he was mentioned.
The fifteenth series is the 3rd to use CGI exclusively. It began airing in 2011 in the UK and in the US. The Series was supposed to air after the Release of Day of the Diesels, but was brought forward for unknown reasons. Rupert Degas joined the voice cast.
- Butch spoke for the first time.
- The first speaking roles of Bertie and Stanley in the CGI Series.
- The Return of Arlesdale End, Castle Loch, the Fishing Village and Wellsworth.
- The first appearance of Trevor in a CGI Episode.
Blue Mountain Mystery is a special that was released in 2012. The Skarloey Railway Engines feature heavily. Michael Legge joins the Voice Cast as Luke. This is the Last Special Animated by Nitrogen Studios.
- Winston, a red track inspection car and the Fat Controller's personal transportation on the rails.
- Luke, a green, narrow gauge, Irish tank engine.
- Merrick, a sleepy, snoring gantry crane who is stationed at the Blue Mountain Quarry.
- Owen, an orange incline engine who is stationed at the Blue Mountain Quarry.
- The first appearances of Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handel, Peter Sam and Rusty in a Fully CGI Environment.
- Flashback recreations of A Scarf for Percy, The Sad Story of Henry, and Down the Mine are made.
The sixteenth series first aired in February and March in the UK and April and June in the US. Steven Kynman joins the Voice Cast of Peter Sam (albeit uncredited in the UK Broadcast) and William Hope is added to the UK voice cast for the first time. This was the last series animated by Nitrogen Studios.
- Stafford, a battery electric engine.
- The return of Skarloey Railway Depot, the Lighthouse, the Sodor Suspension Bridge.
- The trucks appear with faces for the 1st Time since with 13th Series.
- The last series to have Michael Brandon as the narrator for the US.
- The last series to feature Michael Angelis as the narrator for the UK before his death on May 2020.
King of the Railway is a Special that was released in September 2013. This Special marks the Return of Jack. Bob Golding and David Menkin joined the Voice Cast, although the Latter went uncredited. 4 of the New Characters were 1st seen in the Seventeenth Series. This will be the 1st Special Animated by Arc Productions.
- Stephen, an early steam engine who works at Ulfstead Castle.
- Connor, an aquamarine streamlined tender engine.
- Caitlin, a magenta streamlined tender engine.
- Millie, Sir Robert Norramby's private light blue French tank engine.
- Sir Robert Norramby, the current Earl of Sodor.
- This is the first appearance of Jack in CGI.
The seventeenth series started airing on June 2013. This Series is the first to use a New Writing Style for the Series and is also the First Animated by Arc Productions. As 10 Episodes of this Series were released ahead of King of the Railway, this Series marks the First Appearances of Millie, Connor, Caitlin and Sir Robert Norramby and their Voice Actors Miranda Raison, Johnathan Forbes, Rebecca O'Mara and Mike Grady respectively. Although this is their first Apperance, they wouldn't be introduced until King of the Railway. Rupert Degas also left the Series.
- Porter, a grey tank engine who works with Salty at Brendam Docks.
- Mark Moraghan takes over narration duties with Michael Angelis and Michael Brandon.
- The first appearances of Duck, Bill, Ben and Harvey in a Full CGI Series.
- Diesel 10 and Sidney also appear in an episode for the first time.
- The Return of Kellsthorphe Road and Dryaw.
- Johnathan Broadbent also joins the Voice Cast and Teresa Gallagher takes over the Role of Mavis in the US Version.
- Gator, a green Colombian Steam Motor engine that ends up on Sodor for a reason.
- Timothy, a blue oil-burning tank engine who works at the Sodor China Clay alongside Bill, Ben, and Marion.
- Marion, an orange self-propelled steam shovel who works at the China Clay Pits with Bill, Ben, and Timothy.
- Reg, a diesel-powered grappling crane at Crocks Scrap Yard.
The eighteenth series began airing in 2014 in the UK and in the US. It will be the second series animated by Arc Productions.
- Samson, a dark teal cabless tank engine who works on the Mainland.
- Slip Coaches, coaches that Duck works with on the Little Western.
- The Grumpy Passenger
- The first appearances of Oliver, Toad, and Duncan in a Full CGI Series.
- Henrietta appears for the First Time in the Television Series with a Face.
- Crovan's Gate, Sodor Castle, Skarloey, Rheneas Viaduct, and Glennock return.
- Maggie Ollerenshaw, Tim Whitnall, Tom Stourton, Joe Mills, and Robert Wilfort join the Voice Cast.
The Adventure Begins is a 44 Minute Special that was released in 2015 in the UK and in the US.
- Glynn, a "coffee-pot" engine that used to work near Thomas' Branch Line before being abandoned.
- Judy and Jerome, two large grey breakdown cranes on the Arlesburgh Branch Line.
- The Breakdown Train gains faces and names.
- Ffarquhar Station returns in full CGI.
- Rob Rackstraw, Christopher Ragland, John Hasler and Joseph May join in the Voice Cast. John Hasler takes over the Voice of Thomas from Ben Small in the UK, and Christopher Ragland takes over his Voice in the US from Martin Sherman.
- The First Time since the fourth series that Railway Series Stories have been adapted for the Television Series and the First Time the North Western Railway has been referred to by name.
The nineteenth series will air sometime in Fall 2015, and will be the First Series animated by Arc.
- Philip, a cheery little diesel boxcab.
- Captain Joe, Skiff's current captain and the lighthouse keeper at Arlesburgh Harbour. (cameo)
Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure is the 2015 Special.
- Ryan, a purple tank engine that works on the Great Northern Railway.
- Skiff, a railboat owned by Sailor John.
- Mike, a small strong grumpy red tender engine.
- Rex, a small green tender engine.
- Bert, a small blue tender engine.
- Sailor John, a pirate and Skiff's previous owner.
- Captain Calles (does not speak)
- The Thin Clergyman (cameo)
- The Arlesdale Railway's First Appearance in the Television Series.
- Donald, Douglas, Daisy, Alfie, Oliver the Excavator, Max and Monty will return in full CGI.
- Eddie Redmayne, Sir John Hunt, Nathan Clarke, and Jamie Campbell Bower join the Voice Cast.
The twentieth series is expected to air sometime in 2016.
- Hugo, a silver rail zeppelin.
- Bradford, Samson's trustworthy brake van.
- Fergus Duncan, the "Small Controller"/Controller of the Arlesdale Railway.
- The Fat Clergyman (not named)
The Great Race is the 2016 Special.
- Ashima, a large pink Indian tank engine.
- Axel, a Belgian streamlined tender engine.
- Vinnie, a streamlined North American tender engine.
- Raul, a Brazilian vertical-boiler tank engine.
- Carlos, a small Mexican tender engine.
- Frieda, a big streamlined German tender engine.
- Gina, an Italian tank engine.
- Ivan, a Russian diesel.
- Etienne, a French electric engine.
- Rajiv, an Indian tank engine. (does not speak)
- Shane, an Australian tender engine. (does not speak)
- Yong Bao, a Chinese tender engine. (cameo)
- The Mainland Diesels, a group of shunters who work for the contestants. (cameos)
- Vicarstown will appear in the Television Series for the First Time.
- Flying Scotsman returns in full CGI in his First Proper Role.
- Tina Desai, John Schwab and Rufus Jones join the Voice Cast.
- Chris Renshaw takes over as composer of the Series.
Journey Beyond Sodor is the 2017 special.
- Theo, a shy experimental railway traction engine who works at the Steelworks on the Mainland.
- Lexi, a boisterous cab forward engine who works at the Steelworks on the Mainland.
- Merlin, an experimental tender engine.
- Hurricane, a large tank engine who works at the Steelworks with Frankie.
- Frankie, a diesel shunter who works at the Steelworks with Hurricane.
- Beresford, a rolling gantry crane stationed on the Mainland.
- The first series to feature Rosie in her red livery.
The twenty-first series of the television series aired in the United Kingdom in and the United States in 2017.
- Hannah, a "hasty" coach who is Henrietta's sister.
- Carly, a yellow rolling gantry crane from China who works at Brendam Docks with Cranky and Big Mickey.
- Big Mickey, a large hammerhead crane who works at Brendam Docks.
Big World! Big Adventures! is the last 2018 Special.
- Nia, an orange Kenyan tank engine.
- Kwaku, a large Garrett from Tanzania.
- Natalie, an American diesel shunter who works in San Fransisco.
- Ace, an Australian rally car.
- Beau, an American mining engine. (not named)
- Fernando, a teal Brazilian diesel shunter. (not named)
- Emerson, a Brazilian aeroplane. (not named)
- Kobe, a Tanzanian hammerhead crane who works at Dar es Salaam Docks. (not named)
- Cassia, a Brazilian rolling portal crane who works at Gunabara Bay. (not named)
- Carter, a green gantry crane who works at a dock in San Fransisco, California. (not named)
- Shankar, an Indian diesel shunter. (cameo)
- Charubala, the controller of the Indian Railway. (cameo)
- This is the last special in 2018.
The twenty-second series of the television series aired in the United Kingdom and the United States in 2018.
- Rebecca, a yellow streamlined tender engine.
- Hong-Mei, a Chinese tank engine.
- Tamika, an Australian steam railmotor.
- Noor Jehan, an Indian diesel shunter.
- An An and Yin-Long, two Chinese coaches who help passengers on the China Railway.
- Aubrey and Aiden, Shane's Australian coaches.
- Dexter, an old classroom coach.
- Lei, a Chinese van who helps transport goods and materials.
- Isla, an Australian air ambulance.
The twenty-third series of the television series aired in the United Kingdom and the United States in 2019.
- Gabriela, a Brazilian tank engine.
- Lorenzo, an Italian tender engine.
- Gustavo, a large Brazilian electric engine.
- Beppe, a small Italian coach who works with Lorenzo.
- Ester, an Italian excavator.
- Brenda, a bulldozer.
- Darcy, a tunnel boring machine.
- Stefano, a huge amphibious Italian cargo ship.
- Dame Bella Canto, a famous Italian opera singer.
- This is the first appearance of Jenny Packard in CGI.
The twenty-fourth series of the television series is the last CGI Thomas & Friends aired in the United Kingdom and the United States in 2020.
- Duchess, a large cream-coloured tender engine.
- Marcia and Marcio, two Brazilian wood-burning tender engines.
- Sonny, a well tank engine from the Mainland.
- Kenji, a high-speed Japanese electric engine.
- Cleo, a road engine.
- Ruth, an inventor who lived in her own Workshop on the Ffarquhar Branch Line.
- Baz and Bernie, two criminals from the Mainland who visited from the Technology Fair.
- The last series to feature CGI Animation.